You are designers of student learning.
Here are some resources that we think you’ll find useful.
Karen's Story: Why Design Thinking?
Will Richardson: Stop trying to do school better, start trying to do it differently
Dr. Tae: How school should be more like skateboarding
Tim Brown: Think Big
Ken Robinson: Creativity is as important as literacy
Ewan McIntosh: Teaching students to be problem-finders
David Kelley: How to build creative confidence
Diana Laufenberg: How to learn? From mistakes
Gever Tulley: Life lessons through tinkering
Emily Pilloton: "If You Build It" Official Trailer
Seeing Yourself as a Designer
- 5 Habits of Innovative Educators - A how-to article from The Huffington Post on innovating in your classroom
- Bringing Authenticity to the Classroom - Great Edutopia article on real-world learning
- Embracing Messy Learning - A refreshing article from Edutopia about the process of learning
- Seven Pathways to a New Teacher Professionalism - Great post on why teachers must move away from delivering content and managing classrooms and towards enabling opportunity and creating access
- Addressing Our Needs: Maslow Comes to Life for Educators and Students - Edutopia article on how to design for student experience
- 8 Bad Habits that Crush Your Creativity and Stifle Your Success - A article from Copyblogger about habits to avoid as innovative teachers
Tools and Ideas for Doing Design Thinking with Your Students
- Stanford's d.school K12 Wiki - Incredible resource for teachers full of activities and materials that you can apply immediately
- IDEO's Design Thinking for Educators - Excellent toolkit of methods adapted specifically for the context of K-12 education
- Frog Design's Collective Action Toolkit - A collection of useful activities for implementing design thinking in your classroom
- NESTA's DIY (Development, Impact, & You) Toolkit - Great collection of tools for doing design
- AIGA's Ethnography Primer - Good guide to doing meaningful empathy work
- Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques - A book written by Michael Michalko about creative thinking by "doing"
- Discover Design: A Student Design Experience - Great ideas for design projects for students
- What Creativity Actually Looks Like - A short but wonderful post by Grant Lichtman about what learning should be
- Destination, Imagination & The Fires Within: Design Thinking in a Middle School Classroom - Paper by Stanford's d.School and School of Education on step-by-step explanation on how design thinking and content were combined for one Middle School class
- Sparks Fly - A great article about the work and methodology of Stanford’s d.school
- Planting T's - A great blog promoting design thinking in K-12 education
New to Design Thinking? Choose one of these excellent books and dive in!
- CAD Monkeys, Dinosaur Babies, and T-Shaped People: Inside the World of Design Thinking and How It Can Spark Creativity and Innovation by Warren Berger
- Change by Design by Tim Brown
- Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within All of Us by Tom and David Kelley
- The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelly